The Triangle School was built in late
1857 in the Town of Hortonia. It was first
called the Elms School because of surrounding trees;
then became known as the Triangle
School in 1937 after Highway 45 went through (now
The school closed in 1948 with the consolidation of
school districts in the area. It remained closed
to the public until 1977 when the Historical Society
purchased it. It was used at its original
site until 1990 when it was moved to the historical village.
The school still contains many of the original
furnishings and school pieces including a sand table,
clock, and water cooler.
1993, the historical society was offered a
Log Cabin if they would remove it from
Larry Gitter's farm and bring it to the village.
The cabin was dismantled and
transported to the village, then rebuilt on the edge of
the woods to give the impression of how it must have
looked in its youth. It was originally built
The McLaughlin family, who built the
cabin, came to the U.S. from Ireland in about 1832,
settling first in Canada. Around 1850 the family
moved to the Lebanon Township in Waupaca County.
the time the Octagon House was built in New London,
approximately 1867 - 68, it was considered an architectural feat.
In addition to its eight-sided shape,
it was quite a showplace in its time. The parlor
was complete with pump organ, plush couches, and large
framed portraits on easels.
A cupola on the roof
topped a spiral staircase in the center of the house.
The house was built on N. Shawano St.
near where the Chamber of Commerce is located. The
house was moved first to Hillshire land and then to the historical village in 1989. It is furnished today
with period pieces donated by community residents.
Village Chapel held its first worship
services in 1949. Often referred to as "the little white
church on McKinley Street", was on a portion of the
property now occupied by the Police Department.
Originally the building was the Three
Pines School and was located in the Township of Liberty
New London. It became home to the Evangelical
United Brethren Church before merging with the
Methodists in 1968.
The chapel was donated to the society in August of 1991 and
moved to the village. It has been
furnished as a non-denominational chapel set aside for
worship and personal meditation. The chapel is
also available for weddings, renewal of vows and more. Religious books and
artifacts from community churches complete the chapel.
A Garage was added to the
historical village from the former
Edison / Simmons facility in 2006. It was once owned by
Edison to produce phonograph cabinets and later Edison Little Folks'
Furniture. A 'London' model Edison Phonograph that was named after New
London, WI is on display in the Octagon House.